Sunday 5 September 2010

Smiling Teith

On our way to fish against Bank of Scotland Mike, john, phil and I stopped off at Callander for the night. There was no water in the rivers and the Lenny was out of action but against some previous advice and the thought we wouldn't catch anything we took a rod on the town water of the River Teith for the afternoon and fortunately lady luck was smiling on us.

We parked in the car park on the river and in the town. It felt awkward fishing with an audience but most were on holiday so I guess it all added to the authenticity of the town. While Compo, Foggy and Clegg sat eating their lunch I tackled up. An 8ft four weight and a size 14 black klinkhammer were all I needed and was soon into rising salmon parr. It was good fun getting a rise to the fly and I suspect it was a little large for the small fish however I was happy being selective.



I managed a small brownie from the side of the river bridge and it amazing what good sport it is on a light outfit. We moved along to the Salmon pool and it was great to see Salmon leaping every few minutes. The water was deeper here and smaller fish were constantly rising. I put a long cast out and a fish rose and took the flyn magic. It fought well but was extremely surprised that it was a chub of about half a pound. Having spoken to a few people since they didn't think they were this far up in Scotland but the evidence is below.




I managed another trout and chub and it ended a very pleasant start to the week in a great setting. We went back a little later for the evening rise which didn't happen and after getting naffed off with being bitten by midges we retired to the pub to tie flies for the following day.



No comments:

Post a Comment