Tuesday 5 April 2011

Rowley rolly polly

It was Pitsford today and it came with some hot info from Mike who was off stone barn yesterday and had half a dozen quickly.

As Phil and i arrived on Stone Barn it was blowing very strongly left to right and in a little bit. It was going to need some hard work but i was sure there was fish here. It was a bit strong for Phil so he headed off to the new gorse while I set up with a Di5, an orange blob and an orange booby.

3rd cast and it all went tight and i felt it was going to be worth the effort. A nice 3 pounder was returned safely. Another three returned and my phone went, it was Phil, "I've had one and lost one so i suppose you will be over in a minute" - "and I've had 4 so i suppose not for a while!"

I persevered but although the fish kept coming i felt as though they were shoaling and i had to wait for one to come past and then if i was smart i would catch a couple before it went. I also needed a long cast and took my time to have the line in my line tray neatly so it shot out well. I was also trying to shoot it out under the wind and keep it close to the water. The angle was difficult too, as I was using a 40+ if you cast these into the wind then they have a tendency to block but across and down slightly and they go out well. The retrieve was also critical and while using a rolly polly retrieve I mixed it up going quicker, faster and stopping. Many of the fish took just before the shelf when you stopped and started again, bang!

After a couple of hours it was getting a bit lonely so i headed over to find Phil but unfortunately he hadn't had any more. I set up a floater and nymphs but it was a bit early as Phil caught later in the afternoon.

For me i had had my fish and left them too it with the afternoon spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment