Monday 31 August 2009

The drought ends

No not water drought, my lack of fishing!!

I can't remember the last time I went. It's been a busy August at work and even if I had the time I was a bit shattered.

It sounded as though it would be good this weekend with decent temperatures but a bit of cloud around so after the last half day boat i had and enjoyed I thought i would do the same. I was surprised there weren't too many boats out but yesterday they were all out so perhaps people tacking it on spec like me.

The fish has gone quiet up by the dam so thought i would focus on Stone Barn Bay and Pig stream if it was no good. I'd heard the fish were a bit deeper down so I started on a di5 and first drift across the bay I had a nice 2 and a half pounder on my orange booby on the point.


Another couple of drifts and on went the Di3 and again quite quickly another fish and also more action now. But another couple of drift and no more fish again I decided to set up the Di7. Just after I had done this John Mains stopped for a chat and he had managed 5 mainly on a Soldier Palmer on a floater. The Di7 didn't last long and on went the Slow glass and as I hadn't had any fish on my droppers I set up a red daiwl bach and a Soldier Palmer.


The fish still weren't that fast but I did manage another 4 on either the booby or Soldier Palmer. It was a nice routine of pulling quick so the booby bobbled on the surface, then figure of 8, then pull, then figure of 8, etc.etc. They seemed to like to chase and then take the fly when it stopped.


By this time I was fishing closer into Stone Barn and the fish were a bit smaller in here but welcome all the same. As the early afternoon went on it seemed to be getting windier and the clouds darkening. I thought it might drizzle later so left before 2 in time to watch the 20/20 international on telly in the afternoon. Very pleasant!




No comments:

Post a Comment