Friday 30 October 2009

A rest for tired legs

Having been in the lakes for the last two days and yesterday having completed the "Hartsop Horseshoe" my legs and feet were feeling a little tired. As I looked up at the first hill it was 2000ft straight up the ridge from the valley and part way up I realised I hadn't done this for a while as I took a few breathers and viewed the stunning scenery. Once up though it was a great walk and very exhilarating. On the picture below I walked from the right peak to the highest on the left - Thornthwaite Crag at 2500ft, following the ridge around 4 high peaks.
Out to lunch would have been nice, but a boat on Ravensthorpe today was the ideal rest! Although I hadn't reckoned on Phil giving me "a hell of beating"!

We had the hot info from Mike Philpott on where to go and what to do, unknown at the time he had also given the same info to Mick Foster and yes you've guessed it when we arrived Mick and his boat partner Graham Hutchins were in P1 and catching.





The fish had been cruising 40yrds off shore from the lodge to willows bay so confidently we dropped the anchor next to them in P2 and had a quick chat and a bit of banter.

Phil set up with two black and green flies on a sinker. I say sinker because he had said earlier in the day it was a Di3 then changed his mind to a Di5 later - tactics at play i am sure!! He used it to great effect though as he jigged and twitched it back all day with similar flies and managed to land 9 fish all around the two pound mark. This is his best catch of the year and a great effort on the day. Here he is below concentrating on that elusive 10th. never mind - next time!


I however struggled. I switched around too much between flies and lines not being able to settle on anything in particular. I ended with 3 on a concert blob and a Montana all caught on a Di5. The fish seemed to be settled on the bottom between us and the lodge but a good number running along the shore. I definitely spent too long on the Di7 but casting into shallower water.

It was a nice day, overcast with a bit of sun and the wind variating between light ripple and a flat calm. Ravensthorpe as ever was timeless and as below the boathouse view wouldn't have changed much over the last century.



We had a great day and met up with Mick and Graham afterward who had caught 3 and 10 so we didn't do too bad from P2.

No comments:

Post a Comment