Sunday 4 October 2009

Teflon Minkie's

I'll have to check that last batch of black rabbitt to make sure it wasn't made of teflon!!

Yes it was one of those days when all around you were catching, not great, but i could still see the rods bending on a regular basis and yet for me it was just takes.

I had a single manned morning boat so geared up with a floating fry on a floater. Working my way down towards the dam nothing was doing so I set up my Di7 and a black and green minkie and headed for the other boats huddled off the tower. First drift through and I had a fish and thought I was going to be in for a good day.

However the next dozen takes all remained just that and i was left feeling quite frustrated. I changed flies and changed lines but kept coming back to the black minkie as the only thing I could get a take too. And they were only takes at that!

Everyone around me was pulling quick and with what I am convinced were not floaters. Half were drifting broadside and half point down but all consistently catching.

They keep saying black boobies on a floater in the lodge but it didn't work for me and I am sure a floater would have been too high in the water.

Graham Haywood was just heading out as I came in full of the same tactic. bet he bagged!

Never mind it was glorious day and a pleasure to be out as the sun shone and the wind had calmed from yesterday. There's always next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment