Sunday 25 April 2010

it's been a while

It has, it seems ages since i last went fishing!

I have been focusing on my Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge that I managed to complete in 10hrs 58mins. There's more detail at www.kevshillwalking.blogspot.com if your really interested.

It has been a nice week this week and I fancied that Ravensthorpe would be warming up for some small fly action. However when I woke up this morning to wet on the ground and grey skies I thought, typical!

I think everyone had the same idea as me as all the boats were taken and the cotton end lay by full of cars. In hind sight i should have perhaps gone off the dam but I only had a couple of hours and knew there were fish here. The platforms were taken so i found a gap in the trees just beforehand and started to tackle up.

It really felt like spring was here as the sun began to peak through, dandelions and daffodils adding colour, I could hear a chiffchaff in the tree next to me and there was a hatch on as the swallows, house martins and sand martins were swooping around infront of me. It was a pleasure to be out.

I started on a mains damsel and couple of buzzers on a floater and it was only second when all tightened up and I was into a nice 2pounder.

The mains damsel has been a great fly for me. We called it this after John Mains as far as I am aware originated it for competition fishing in hard early season conditions. It is a simple fly to tie consisting of an olive marabou tail, olive marabou body, pearl over the back and a silver wire rib.

It was a great start but not to be followed up unfortunately. I moved onto straight lining daiwl bach's and cruchers and drifting out a bung but nothing. There were a few fish further out and the hatch slowed down at midday.

When the couple of guys off the platforms left having only one apiece too on buzzers,I thought I would follow too. A nice ease back into it again though.

No comments:

Post a Comment