Sunday 21 March 2010

Bad luck comes in threes

It was the MNTFA Pitsford Bank competition and it didn't start too well when on only my second cast my rod snapped on the back cast - more about that later. At lunchtime I got on my bike and cycled round the water having a few chats when half way round I got a puncture - a great walk back to the car. Lastly as I was gutting my fish the knife sliced through my thumb - the same colour as my buzzers!

I managed to shake off all of that and still come 6th and have the best fish of the day prize for a 3lb 5oz rainbow - nice and overwintered!

I started off at the Pines with Don Moore and Phil, the wind was very light to start but got up as the day went on. Phil was on fire again and had the first fish on a bloodworm after we saw at least 3 fish rise in front of us. I also changed to bloodworm and buzzers and managed to catch two fish on a red buzzer including my best fish. It showed promise up to lunch but then went very quiet.

After i had walked back to my car and still nothing doing on the pines I made my way up to stone barn bay. I was greeted by Powie and Mick O'farrel waving to say they were packing up and I could have their spot. Very kind, Mick had actually had his limit by half past eleven. I started on the floater but nothing doing and thought i would copy so on went the di3 and a black and green booby.

1st cast out and I was hooked into a nice stockie, that's better! I managed to catch 5 in the next hour and lost a couple, it was great sport. It's surprising how easy it is when the fish are in front of you but it's bloody hard finding them. I sweated on the last 10 minutes to catch my last but the fish had moved off.

A couple of spots down though Seumas had bagged up and gave his spot to Graham Haywood who had another 3 to get. He managed to get his last fish on the last cast of the match and let out a great roar! It was the first limit he had caught and a major milestone especially having won the most ducks competition last year. Brilliant!

As you can see from the photo below he is staring at his bag of fish and can't quite believe how many there are.



The weigh in was surprising how many fish had been caught and it was obvious Phil and I had chosen the wrong spot to start. Graham was in Third Place and Mick in second but Ash cooper managed to win with a great bag of fish caught on a cats whisker from Sailing Club Bank. Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment