Monday 10 May 2010

Julian Davies wins MNTFA Pitsford boat match

Congratulations to Julian Davies who managed to catch the biggest bag of 8 fish to take the Bruce Richardson Trophy.

It all started for me a bit rushed as I lost track of the time. When I walked on to the boat platform having arrived late I was greeted with a round of applause for turning up - cheeky buggers!

I knew where I wanted to go though and Phil thought the same so we were out at the front of the flotilla heading for Pitsford Creek. Mike and Ash were out in front and they took A1 position and anchored off the point of table bay and the creek. We popped in just in front and it felt nice.

I started on a Di7, booby and blobs but it started very slowly for me. It was Phil who got off to great start catching a couple of fish on a blob on a slow intermediate. I cam up in the water to a Di3 but Phil carried on catching on a damsel. The fish seemed to be coming round every now and again but they were tightly shoaled.

My back was too Mike and Ash and although we exchanged a bit of chat I didn't keep my eye on them. It was only at 1pm when Mike had bagged up that I realised they were catching. In actual fact Ash had bagged up at 12 o'clock on blobs and boobies. Fortunately before they headed off they told me what they were doing and although it was similar to me it gave me the confidence to persevere. Powie and John were struggling too and jumped in their spot.

Fortunately I caught quite quickly and after a move into table bay i managed to catch slow but consistently on an orange booby.

Richard and Nick were drifting all day and managed to pull a few fish from a few different shoals after anchored boats kept pinching their drifts they managed to find a shoal to themselves in the creek. Stuart and Matthew sat on a shoal off Pitsford car park and could see that they then started to catch consistently.

I managed to catch my last couple of fish in the last half hour just as the fish started to rise. Phil had a nice 3 and a half pounder on a cruncher and spent the last 10 minutes sweating on his last fish but unfortunately ended on 7.

Julian and Grant however had settled in the small half off the may tree bank and managed to get into some bigger fish that had been naturalised a little more than the fresh stockies we had been catching. One of Julians largest fish was just a couple ounces below 4lbs.

The day was topped off with a great meal in the lodge provided by The Chequers at Ravensthorpe - very civilised!!

No comments:

Post a Comment