Wednesday 15 July 2009

A circular storm

I had put off evening fishing last week because the wind didn't drop in the evening and I thought that would reduce the fly life. However I had decided to go last night whatever.

Fortunately it was looking good with some cloud and a little wind but not too much. As I arrived over Pitsford Causeway Nathan and Stuart were repairing the fence where it appeared that a car had gone through. Fortunately there was nothing in water so it must have done it's job and held the car back. I have looked at the fences around Pitsford on the causeway and they are starting to fall into dis-repair. Nathan has been doing his best to repair them but they don't look the same. Hopefully they will see them as a hazard now and give him the money to replace them. With the volume of people around the water now it would be great to see some quality new fencing in keeping with a great facility.

I headed on to the gravels as I had been hearing good reports. Phil had moved along a bit nearer the Holly Bush on Serman's bank. I didn't stay as I felt i needed to be nearer a bigger concentration. When I arrived there was about 8/10 people stretched along but still still room for a few more so I slotted in just off the end of the New Gorse. It showed promise as there were one or two fish topping although further out with the ripple and as the sun started to go down I felt confident.
I put up my 8ft 4 weight rod and fancied a bit of sport on Dries. I started with a red hopper on the top dropper and a claret one on the point and then changed the point to amber, orange then ginger. I managed to get two drownings, I can't call them takes as I didn't feel a thing but I definitely saw the fish come up for the fly.
It was all looking promising and then I looked up at the storm coming over. It wasn't a tornado or a twister but it was certainly a menacing circular shape. I felt the first drops of rain and gave in. I had a bit of a laugh as the guy next to me also engaged in synchronised reeling in and packing up. I jumped in the car, headed off and it then chucked it down, perfect timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment