Wednesday 1 July 2009

Just waiting for the sunset

I was sitting at home watching the tennis and there's only so much wobbling the eyes can take. I looked out the window and the wind was dropping away, the skies bright so I though what a great night for some dry fly fishing as the sun sets.
As I arrived round on Rigby's point there was Phil in his usual position.
I set up it and the wind was calming off but there was not a rising fish in sight, I tried on both sides of the fence and then jumped in the car to the gravels and Stone barn bay. There were a good number of anglers there but after sitting and watching, again there were no fish rising and no one catching. Everyone it seemed was waiting for the sun to go down and the fish to come up. So I headed back to Phil.
The sun was going down great and the colours changing.














I fished, nymphs, damsels and dries but essentially it was only when the sun went down that we started to see a few fish rising. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be enough and as the ripple was out a good way the fished with it.

There were loads of flies in the sky and on the water. It was great to see a sedge land on the water and be chased and mobbed, skimming on the surface-a mating ritual I expect! I did see a couple of fish come up and take fly from within this.

I also realise now why chironomids are called buzzers as apart from some large green buzzers over my arms and legs there was a small swarm of smaller ones buzzing around my head and there was definitely a constant buzzing noise getting loader as more flies joined in. They look like stars in the sky but are really green "buzzing buzzers" caught in my flash!
As pleasant as it was to be out not only did we not catch but as the cloud came over no great sunset either -what a shame!




No comments:

Post a Comment