Friday 20 May 2011

Toft Shallows

I thought I would have my first outing over Draycote since it re-opened and see for myself what was going on.

There are a few changes, but if I am honest they didn't detract from the fishing and perhaps we were just used to being looked after by Keith and having easy fishing that we may have been spoilt.

Yes the lodge is closed but the new little office is functional and does the job. The parking is further away but it is only recently that you didn't have to walk from the sailing club car park. We dropped our kit off and then parked in the country park - take £2.50 in change with you. When we had finished we just walked the kit across the road through the gate and into the car park, no further than if you carry your kit from the boats to the back car park at Grafham.

You can only pay for the fishing by cash at the moment which is a pain if you didn’t know it should only be short term. I had heard there was only 9 boats and there may have been but there was only over 20 on the pontoon, however I would suggest you book as they were all taken on our day.

The bank fishing is natural bank only and restricted car access so after you have paid a fortune for a season ticket I would expect that it is a real nuisance in the wrong winds or when the fish are in a particular spot.

From a boat it was no difference and we could choose where we wanted. We started over the shoal strait out from the lodge where there were loads of fish taking adult buzzers. We tried to imitate but I think they were preoccupied so we left them alone and headed for Toft Shallows.

As we drifted the boat next to us was in, then again so as we headed closer to the shore and I had a couple of follows we dropped the pick and made camp for the day. I was getting quite a few follows but none of them would stick.

The fish were here and they were cruising in a shoal down the bank and across the bay and we patiently relaxed into it. It was going to be key that we found the right flies and Phil was first off as a fish took his cruncher and stuck. There were a few boats drifting around and those catching I noticed that they had a blob on the top dropper. With this it took me back to Pitsford and I set up with a damsel on the point, cruncher on the middle and a tequilla fab on the top.

It wasn't long before I was into my first fish on the top dropper and another followed not long after. I was still getting a good number of takes without them sticking so I started to vary my retrieve to entice them on and it worked. Before we left for the day I managed another 6 and while it didn't set the world alight it was a very pleasant relaxed days fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment