Thursday 19 February 2009

Bev Perkins Remembered

I heard yesterday that unfortunately Bev Perkins had died on Tuesday. Bev was a big character who fished Pitsford and Ravensthorpe for many years.

He was part of a generation of Northampton anglers that revolutionised trout fishing with techniques and flies that were extremely effective for large waters but also applicable to all fly fishing whether small water or river. He was a great fly tyer and had a large number of articles published in the UK angling press. Here's Bev at home in Northampton with his his Fly Tying kit.


He had been ill for a while and on oxygen for a good part of it and unfortunately couldn't tie however he was not short of visitors and anglers stories.

His fly tying was exceptional and he had loads of clever methods and approaches, a real innovator.

I managed to scan in a few of his articles he wrote recently. I don't think they had been published although the flies have. This is one relating to Pitsford and flies are fantastic fish catchers, guaranteed!!

4 comments:

  1. Bev was a great man and expert.

    A book should be written with all his articles and tips, it would be essential for a person starting out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure the material exists. It just needs someone with the time to pull it all together and someone with the right reputation to publish it.

    It would be a shame if that much knowledge wasn't available for all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just read of Bev's untimely death. My friend Bruce Vaughan knew him well and related many tales of him to me.
    Perhaps Bruce would be the person to put all that material together as he has edited books and several magazines.
    Bev will be greatly missed.

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oliver Perkins-Gibbons15 September 2011 at 15:03

    I know it's quite late to comment on this, but I haven't thought about Bev in a long time. He was my grandfather, and I never had much to do with him, so it is nice to see the comments from people on here about him.

    ReplyDelete