Saturday 12 March 2011

A bagfull before breakfast

An early start this morning and i was at Pitsford for 6.30. It really paid off and i definitely made up for yesterday.

At this time the bird life was well awake before me with the robins and blackbirds giving their all for the dawn chorus. As I walked along the creek 2 great crested grebes were dancing beak to beak, green woodpeckers screeching from the car park and great spotted woodpeckers drumming in the trees. As I approached the pines I even disturbed a cormorant close in, there had to be fish here!

I was not the first to arrive and another guy was on the first point which was fine because I wanted the second. It was only my second cast when the line went tight and for a moment i was sure it was the top of the shelf but when it started pulling back realisation set in and my first of the season, a big shouldered 2lb stockie was very welcome.

I recon everyone said "I'll be out the house by 7" because at 10 past there were 6 cars rolling around the roads of sailing club and infront of the car park. That was it though and no one arrived before I left.

After a couple of fish I then started to hone the depth and retrieve and leading up to 8am had a great purple patch as the fish must have been shoaling in front of me. There did seem to be a hatch. There were good numbers of small midge with a few bigger ones. I also saw three uprights as well maybe a dark olive. There were a few fish feeding on top for 20 minutes but not many.

The method was a Black and Green booby on a Di3 with a 12ft leader. I would cast out, let the line settle, maybe a figure of 8 to keep in touch and then long slow pulls. The fish seemed to come off the shelves and I had some great pulls fairly close in. It went a little slow after 8.30 and I swapped to an orange booby and let it sink for longer and managed 3 further fish this way including 2 lovely brownies one at a pound and half and the other at two and a half.

Excellent sport and I headed off for a good breakfast and a gentle introduction to the Rugby this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment