Saturday 6 June 2009

Credit Cruncher

I finished work earlier on Wednesday, the family were over Silverstone doing the race for life and as the wind was a little less and a few clouds in the sky I really fancied an evening boat and headed to Pitsford lodge. When I arrived I had forgot that because AWA expected less anglers this year due to the credit crunch they had reduced the boats in time to 8.30 on Monday and Wednesdays. The bailiff seemed to feel sorry for me and suggested I head to the Pines.

All my favourite spots were taken but determined to at least unwind I muscled in. I had only flicked my fly in as I pulled off more line and thought i saw something flash and lifted straight into what I am sure was my biggest fish from Pitsford this season. It fought like mad as though it was never hooked. When I returned it, with no camera or scales to hand it was at least 4-8. Majic!

I then landed another three all to cruncher, hares ear and daiwl bach. After an hour of almost a take a cast it went dead, I think it must have been just the fish moving off but it did coincide with Panc coning in next to me perhaps cutting off the fish.

Martin Nelson turned up next and we had a good chat about his massive fish at Ravensthorpe and how he is catching too many fish for his ticket so he has upgraded - how good is that!

8pm on the dot and someone flicked the switch back again and the takes started. After a few misses I had a very soft take lent into the fish and it felt like I had hit bottom. It then started moving so I knew it was a fish but it was still a deeper slow fight and thought it was a brownie. However without a great fight it came in and was a Pike around 8 lb that had taken my hares ear. Fortunately the small fly was in between the teeth and couldn't be cut. After a tricky operation I had my fly and returned the fish.

The wind calmed and the place was alive with flies. A buzzer hatch, Caenis and loads of sedges. Grouse wing cinnamon and even a few great red sedges. The two mallards I recon would have had neck ache the following day as all night they were snapping at the sedges. I couldn't see how many they were catching but they looked expert.

Panc was catching well and had a rainbow of 4-12 that gave a great fight.

I ended the evening with 7 and had really enjoyed it. My main fly was a variant cruncher I had just tied up, maybe I'll call it the Credit Cruncher!!

No comments:

Post a Comment