Saturday 6 June 2009

Oliver's first trout

I have heard of beginners luck but this worked perfectly.



Hot on my success on Wednesday I headed back to Rigby's Point with my Nephew, Oliver, aged 5 who was staying for the weekend. When we arrived there was a boat in really close but after a quick chat we slotted in and they stayed where they were, cosy. For the second time on the trot I flicked out my line and pulled off some more to cast and saw a flash again. "Hold this Oliver" I said, "Lift the rod" and yes as the picture shows below he was into a fish, Brilliant!


A small fight but unfortunately slack line and it was off. So I cast out, handed him the rod and said pull back slowly and wow! we were in again. This time it was well hooked in the scissors on a size 14 hares ear and was not getting off. We played it for a good while just to be on the safe side and as below we had a proud Oliver with his first trout a 2lb 20z rainbow. Hooked!! With interest waning a little I got my 8ft river rod out and he had a bit of casting practice. I managed to catch one more and we took it in turns to play. Oliver was in charge of the net this time and landed it perfectly. "The fish in the net is very heavy" said Oliver.



It's not always this easy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment