Thursday 18 June 2009

Sedges, Sedges everywhere

I had just got in from work late and shattered, Julie was out and I was settling down with my tea and the lead up to South Africa vs New Zealand live on the telly ( Cricket was last week this was football!) and the phone goes. Phil's on Rigby's point and only been there 20 minutes and has two cracking fish on the bank - not your recent stockies this time. What a dilemma!!

Fortunately Julie came back earlier and could look after the kids, so decision made i headed off for the last couple of hours.

When i arrived Phil had just lost his sixth so I quickly pinched one of his hare's ear's ( blimey it was well tied - tail a bit long though!) and jumped in next to him in the bay next to Rigby's. With the wind blowing left to right there was a wind lane that started off the trees and headed into the narrows. There were fish rising all around but mostly the nymphers were in the wind lane. I managed to get a couple of pulls but they didn't stick and then one broke me at distance. Usual mistake as in a rush I was still using the leader from the dam at Ravensthorpe where it was bashed about.

Phil caught steadily on his cast of sedge pupa, hares ear and cruncher. He was nicely placed to be easily casting into the wind lane and with a new rod and borrowed line tray the distance was looking great.

I managed a few more takes and fish on a lite brite hares ear and as the sun went down it was feeling great.

As the nymph fishing got more difficult the sedges came alive and they were everywhere buzzing around. Once again there were a number of different species that was surprising but it must be just my observation getting better. The feeding fish I thought had switch to the dry so I put a couple of dry sedges on with the hares ear in the middle. After a few encouraging drownings I started short lining and got more interest fished as a bob fly and another fish chased and took my hares ear.

It was well passed 10 when we packed up and we reflected on Phil's success. He had caught and returned 8 which was his first limit of the bank and second highest catch. Excellent!

With the sedges still everywhere we headed off home.

1 comment:

  1. The tail may have been a tad too long but 5 trout are now a lot wiser! However as always I will take on well intentioned criticism, I am sir, your obedient servant. P Cross

    ReplyDelete