Tuesday 7 April 2009

Bright sun and clear water

Not the greatest of conditions for a start to a couple of weeks of work. I had a look at Pitsford on Saturday and opted for a walk instead. Sunday was nice and I thought that you could catch in any conditions at Ravensthorpe but no. I had a couple of takes on a dry Leadbeater Emerger but that was it.

Mike said he was heading to Pitsford this afternoon so thought I would go for a look. He had a great spot on the point of stone barn bay with the wind coming across left to right and out a little, a bit too strong but thought it might calm as the evening went on. Geoffrey from the Fly Dressers guild had popped in next to him and second cast was into a fish just as I arrived.

I started on the Di7 and a booby but when your hearts not in it you have to change. So on went the floater, long leader weighted bead black buzzer the point and two pheasant tail buzzers on the droppers. The confidence was rising.

A difficult cast out and it landed a bit messy in the wind. I left it for the current to sort out and as the line went tight on my finger I started a slow figure of eight retrieve. The line went heavy but I continued the retrieve, a bump but I continued and then it just hooked itself and I lifted the rod and it was on, a nice 2 pounder had taken my middle dropper. I had another fish and a few missed takes which turned into a nice evening.

The wind got a little stronger and a little colder so without wanting to miss Man Utd on the tele we headed off. I didn't want to overdo it as I am looking forward to Rutland off the bank tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment