Saturday 11 April 2009

Easter Saturday

As I arrived it was flat calm and there were a good number of cars off Stone Barn Bay. Never mind I was here and the least I could do was take a look.

As I settled in I saw a guy in where I wanted to go and then recognised him as Nathan Reilly, excellent I though and went over for a chat. It seemed as though the fish were taking claret buzzer and while I stood there he spooned the next one he caught and sure enough it was full of size 10 buzzers.

I popped in next to him and set up with what I finished with earlier in the week and was then into fish straight away. Over the next couple of hours I managed to return 5 and then fished for the last hour for my sixth without success.

Nathan as usual had some brilliant observations:

There were loads of different chironomids hatching of all sizes but the fish were definitely picking out the larger darker ones, black, purple or claret. They must have an acquired taste! After a look into the deep pool by his feet there wer eclouds of daphnia. I had never seen them this close to shore but I guess it was because the wind had been blowing into the shore and they had got trapped.

Also normally I think of the fish running up and down the bank but these were not doing that and we were sure that they were holding in deeper water further out and then when the conditions were right or they wanted food they would come closer in. This made perfect sense and I guess the shelves around this bank would allow them protection and warmer deeper water to hold in.

......and don't jump in my spot as I'm going back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment