Wednesday 8 April 2009

Pier Fishing at Rutland

It was a strong westerly at Rutland and bank fishing was limited. Whitwell Creek or in front of the lodge? well we were at the lodge so a lazy decision really straight into deep water and as I had never fished from here before I was looking forward to it. The boat dock wall was great, wind over your left shoulder and a comfortable rock for a seat. It felt like I was on holiday at the seaside fishing off the pier, damn I forgot my crab line and bucket!!

Phil Cross set up on the corner fishing into the bay on a floater as normal and I got the Di7 and boobies out just in case there were loads of stockies. It had only been 5 minutes and Phil had a pull, another 5 and he was into his first fish - no duck today then!
By this time i had had enough of pulling and set about the floater but for the next half hour i had had nothing while Phil continued to have takes and a lost fish. After a chat it was obvious the fish were running the bay but not along the wall so i muscled in between Phil and the bush on the corner and the day became more sociable as we settled in for a great days fishing tweaking a gold head a gold head and buzzers around in the wind.

The first few fish took an pheasant tail in the middle dropper and I then set about getting all three flies working. A gold bead on the point was a must, the hares ear and then orange caught fish but it was only when the tried and tested green pea went on that we found the point fly. Later on in the afternoon I put a pheasant tail buzzer on the top dropper and the cast was complete. Another fish on this and the wind changed slightly and the cast ended in the tree, No!!!

It was my last lite bright green pea and I had to scrat around for similar pheasant tails. It turned out just to be confidence and I settled into more takes and fish on the another green pea and PT's.

There were plenty of fish to be had, I ended with 8 returned and Phil 5 but both of us lost a good number at the net( shook off early to save netting!) and there were many pulls. To top it all it was great company like being in a boat and a nice view to look at all day below.


It has been ages since i had fished the bank at Rutland and after this it won't be so long before the next trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment