Saturday 18 April 2009

Ravensthorpe red

It was the Hector Woolnough floating line competion at Ravensthorpe today and to help a few pals along thought i would go fora few hours yesterday.

A cold wind was blowing into the Dam and for a few minutes I had second thoughts but then headed up to between the tower and the overflow where it was flat calm, this looks better!

As I was tackling up I thought i would cast and walk the bank, down first time with a damsel, daiwl back and a green buzzer (all flies that have been working this week) and then back up with a bung and buzzers.

When I made it to the overflow the boat infront of me was catching but i had only had two pulls. Just as I was changing to a bung a guy from the platforms walked past and said he had 4 from this spot earlier on black and red buzzers. I'll take all the help can get and put two on the droppers.

It is amazing the difference the right flies can make! The best one for me was a black tying silk buzzer on a size 10 hyabusa, it had a back of red holographic, held on with a silver rib. The thorax is just red holographic wound rouns a dozen times. I haven't looked at Bev Perkin's Holly 1 recently and it must be similar.

The fish were running the dam and up the channel so it wasn't non stop but every time they were in front of me, you know, a couple of fish rise and bang your in! I managed to return 5 and had quite a few more takes.

As I sat down and made a few calls it dawned on me that it was back to work on Monday, what a shame I was just becoming confident of catching anywhere, with a little help of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment