Thursday 16 April 2009

Grey skies and green buzzers

Today I fancied Draycote for a change. Fishing with Nathan last week made me realise that it was fishing with him, Mick and John years ago which was the last time I was off the bank at Draycote. I also needed to confirm the Barclays National with Kieth now that we are all fully booked up. We have 12 teams of 4 anglers including the teams Barclaycard, Clearing A, Clearing B, North London, Radbroke 1, Radbroke 2, North East, Reading, Southern, Thames & Solent, Property and a Presidents team. Are you in? If not there is still room for a small one, e-mail me on kevrowley@live.co.uk

So I headed off even though I had a crap weather forecast.

It was raining when I set up off Lin Croft but with no fish I moved across to the cornfield. The hotspot was full up but the next grassy bank had only one angler. As I walked down the bank he was into a fish and in a friendly way turned around and said "damsel mate, loads of fish here", brilliant I thought!


In the next 20 minutes I didn't have a fish and couldn't understand how they could ignore my green buzzers, are they mad?

The fish were rising just out of range so I took off the midge tip and rigged up the shooting head floater and a damsel on a short leader to keep it up in the water. A longer cast into the light wind and I caught straight away and never looked back consistently catching for the rest of the morning. The rain even stopped and while it didn't change from "miserable grey" I could at least concentrate on catching fish.

Draycote is heaving with fish at the moment, there were fish rising constantly - most out of range of course - I didn't feel I had the fly they wanted but was catching just the same. If had the correct fly it would have been embarrassing. I did just check that they were green buzzers and spooned my fish as below. Being colour blind is an occupational hazard but they are green aren't they?


No comments:

Post a Comment