Friday 12 March 2010

Pitsford Opening Day

I still remember in my younger days a crowd of us meeting at the Haddon's in Pitsford a meal, few beers, a good laugh followed by camping overnight in the pines waiting for it to get light. many times we had our first fish just as it got light and bagged up and back home for lunchtime. You had to be there at that time otherwise you couldn't get a spot.

Well I wasn't there that early this morning and I didn't bag up as quick as that but I did struggle to find a spot as the banks were lined with anglers.



I thought the fish would be over on duffers, bog bay etc. this year and as the wind was off that bank it was ideal. However as it appears the fish are well spread out all down to the Gorse bank, off bog bay, Sailing club bank and down to the gravels.

I settled on the far side of Stilton point looking into pig stream and although the wind was right to left (probably why i got a spot) it was gentle and casting was ok. Later it actually felt as though it had turned to come off that bank.

It was cold and the fish were lethargic but a shoal did keep running up this bank keeping the anglers well entertained with a few fish. There was also a shoal well off Stilton point but deep.

My main tactic for the day was the same as the guy that had bagged up before me off Stilton point using a midge tip line, black and green gold head on the point and an orange blob on the dropper. It was left for about 40 seconds and then returned with a figure of eight and short sharp pulls. The takes come on the drop but also when the shoal went past close in.

There were also the usual methods and a number of people were also catching on intermediates and the usual di3 and black and green with long slow pulls.

There were some decent fish around and of the three fish I had one of them was over 3lb.

Phil had joined me and at first it was like fishing in a boat but we did spread out. We were catch at about the same rate but after i got snapped up I thought that would do for the day and before I could pack my kit in the car he had another 2. He had 4 when I left but hope he could bag up.

Steve had a tough of the dropsy's and his had dropped off but hopefully his perseverance would have paid off in the end.

Apart from getting cold and wet it was a successful enjoyable day and nice to catch a few fish to start the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment